Thursday, June 24, 2010

Giddy!


You know when you have an idea floating around in your head and you think that there is no way that it will ever work out? Well.... this time, it did! And I'm super giddy about it. There's such a good feeling about looking at something and knowing that you created it, made it, and it actually looks good!
I've been searching for some kind of art work to go in my dining room, with no luck. I knew the look I was going for, but I couldn't find anything to match it. Well, my friend Kristen had this art piece sitting in her garage and she didn't want it. She asked me if I wanted it (THANK YOU!) and I figured I could come up with something to do with it. Now... I'm sure there is some pear-loving, muted-colored, fancy-art loving person out there that is just yelling at me through their computer that I painted on top of this, but... I'm not one of those people...so....sorry!!!
That is what I started with. I was going for a rustic look..and here is how I got it.
First, I gave the piece a light sand so that everything would stick. I painted the edges and center portion brown (espresso bean to be exact).
I wanted the center to look rustic as well, so I painted on a crackle finish. I added a deep red (wine) paint on top of it, but left parts of the brown coming through, almost a streaky effect here and there.
I wanted a woodsy outdoorsy rustic feel...and I knew I wanted to use wood, but man that would be a lot of work! Well...believe it or not...I found some PAPER that looks just like wood. Very realistic! Paper people! I cut it to fit around the middle portion and used my Mod Podge to glue it and seal it. I used a Walnut Stain ink to distress the edges and then inked different parts of the paper, like real wood would have on it.
And now the FUN! I bought a SILHOUETTE!!! You've seen them if you've been reading the blogs. They are the newest and most amazing cutters out there! They can do so much stuff. I got mine after the first blog reader discount hit the stands, over at How Does She? It was such a good deal! OK...sorry...back to the project! I used my silhouette to make a stencil on cardstock of a set of silverware. I crumbled up a plastic bag and just lightly dabbed it with some antique white paint to stick with the rustic feel.
Silhouette Design Silverware_0772 
Now..stick with me..I thought I was done, but then decided that it needed something...so here is where my brain got to turning. I wanted to add burlap to cover up where my paper met on the sides. When I put it against the wood paper, it just didn't have enough contrast. So, I got creative. I cut pieces of red burlap to fit underneath my neutral burlap and used spray adhesive to attach them. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but it just gives it that little bit of contrast that it needed, and blends really well with the color in the middle.
To polish off the edges I added my jute (helloooooo, obsessed!) with spray adhesive to make the burlap look straight. And here she is... isn't she purty?
Giddy, people, giddy!!!! I smile everytime that I look at it. That's the power of crafting!
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!UndertheTableandDreaming Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special










20 comments:

  1. Very cute! You are good girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a well deserved case of giddiness! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY COOL!!! Very creative. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! I'd be giddy if it were in my dining room, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer - I love this! Fabulous job! I love the untensil silhouettes - super cute. I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like! Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is really, really, really nice! Very original, great job. (Found you through Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table & Dreaming.) I'll have to keep an eye on you : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply adorable!! I can't wait to see what else you have in store! I'll for sure follow your blog..and be sure to check out mine!
    Have a wonderful day!!
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing! You should feel giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving this! What a fun idea! It is such a gratifying feeling when a project comes together as you imagine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh, Jennifer, I'm totally impressed!! Nice job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute idea! And I just ripped apart a huge expensive clock today to make it into something "me", so I'm in no place to lecture you about "ruining" art! :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome wall art. I may have to do something like it in my dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how rustic this looks. It came out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay!!!! A fellow wall art Podger!!!! I really like this. Very cool, and I love all the different textures. Isn't that wood print paper awesome? It comes in handy for all sorts of things where you need lightweight but still wood type texture. Very nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT job on this art piece! That paper really does look like wood. I'm so glad you stopped by and linked up to Scraptastic Saturday! Hope to see ya every week.

    Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I featured you on Scraptastic Saturday!!

    http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/2010/09/scraptastic-saturday.html

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That would cost at least $150 at Pier One! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete