Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pottery Barn Knock-Off: Painted Numbers Canvas

When I saw this on Pottery Barn's website I knew that it would be perfect for my sister. It's totally her style. It's not for sale through the website anymore, but I can only imagine the price tag on something like this!
Photos from Pottery Barn here.

So, I decided that I should just make my own! I used a 20x16 canvas that I got at a garage sale for $2. I read on Little Blue Boo's blog about mod podging newspaper or phone book pages on your canvas to be able to sand it down at the end, and give it a more rustic and distressed finish.
 Here's what it looked like after it was covered in phone book pages.
 Then, I painted over the whole thing in an antique white acrylic paint. When that was dry I went over that with a bright white acrylic paint. I didn't cover the whole thing, but more in random places to give it a streaky effect.
 Once that was completely dry, I found my center and drew lines in pencil so that I could work in sections. For the numbers I used my Silhouette to cut out vinyl letters. I google searched "Pottery Barn Numbers Canvas Font" just to see if anyone knew which font they were. Lucky for me, Stephanie Lynn over at Under the Table and Dreaming had made a cute mini version and told us what fonts she used to make hers. So, I played around with mine until I liked it the best. I ended up using two fonts: Engravers MT and Century Schoolbook. I typed them into word and then went back and forth between my document and the picture that I had from Pottery Barn to decide which number fit best.
 I kept working in sections to make sure that all of my numbers fit correctly.
After I got all of the numbers places where I wanted them I used my brayer to make sure that all the edges were really stuck well. At this point I was busting at the seams to go spray paint it and see what the finished product would look like! 
I took it outside and gave it two good coats of flat black spray paint. I made sure it was completely dry and then brought it in and peeled away the vinyl letters! Loved it! But I knew I would love it better after I sanded it. I just used a piece of fine grit sandpaper, wrapped it around a block, and really hit the edges and where my phone book pages were a little crinkled.
 I was so super happy with it!
 I had to test it in my house before I gave it to my sister. I thought for a minute that I should just keep it!! :) Just kidding! I love the way the edges look and the crinkles. It really makes it look like a sheet of canvas.
Take that Pottery Barn!

Linking to:
UndertheTableandDreaming Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!
Making 





   
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


34 comments:

  1. I love this! I purchased the one from PB, but honestly I think I like yours better. The newspaper idea as a backing is clever. If Santa brings me a Silhouette for Christmas I'll have to remember that sage piece of advise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Isn't it such an amazing feeling to have PB like items in your home, without the price? Great Job, I am going to have to try this.

    Halsey

    spunkyjunky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything with numbers and this is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! I love number decor!
    http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is awesome! thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so great, I love it, and am going to have to steal your idea. thanks for the sweet comment, glad you liked my canvas art too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this! I would love to knock this off too. Thanks for the tutorial! You rock!

    Rachel
    http://www.holy-craft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer! Love this piece - fantastic job!Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! I featured this on the first round of showcases - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your Pottery Barn Knock Off. In fact I have two large canvases which are ready to be made over and I believe your project has become my new inspiration. I've signed up to follow you, as I don't want to miss any of your unique posts. Please check out my blog and do likewise. I also have a party every Tuesday called the Boardwalk Bragfest. It's a lot of fun. ...and a giveaway going on Now! Love to see more of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this!!! Super cute knockoff... I featured it on my blog this morning! :]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.my.gosh. You are freaking amazing. I didn't know i wanted this piece until i just laid my eyes on it. You have inspired me to give it a try! :) Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you were able to recreate something from a store that you love! I think thats the most fun, to see something you like, and then the challenge of creating it yourself. Its such a feeling of accomplishment, and when people ask, I love saying "Oh I made that myself"! Its always a conversation starter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might be my new hero. SUPER CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FAB.U.LOUS! I love it! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I'll be trying it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's absolutely incredible! I really need to get a Silhouette!

    You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. I hope you don't mind but I linked it on my blog for my weeks must do's!

    werethejoneses.blogspot.com

    Happy Friday!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job, I LOVE that, and NEED one in my house!

    I'd love it if you entered the Copycat Challenge that I'm hosting, this would be a great entry and the prizes are fabulous! You can go here for details:

    http://sewmuchado-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/10/copycat-challenge-details.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fantastic. I don't have the cutter so I would have to have the numbers made. I have a friend who does this for his business. Is there ANY chance you could tell me exactly what font and size you made each number. I absolutely love that you give tutorials. I can follow directions, but am not very original. I am going back to the very beginning of your blog to see what I've missed, since I just found you two days ago! Thanks so much for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So I totally commented earlier on the post. I just can't get enough of it. I totally want to make one for myself. Anyway, I have been stalking your blog for awhile and I just love all your ideas and I actually gave you an AWARD so if you get a chance head on over to Spunky Junky to get it!

    You rock girl! Keep up the good work!

    Halsey

    Spunky Junky

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! It looks so so great! Awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl! You are a genious! I love this! Wish me luck, b/c I'm going to attempt to pull this off for my sister-in-law's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok really??? SO cute!! Great Job! Oh and I love the blog name :) Keep the great idea's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  23. the newspaper part is genius!

    Taylor
    www.maryjanesandgaloshes.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE IT!!! I WILL TRY TO DO SO COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE CAN I FIND THESE LETTERS??? THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello - this is great and I am half way through but don't know what to print the letters onto and how to get them to adhere to the canvas without peeling the paint off. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just made a modified version of this but used my kids fingerpainted artwork as the base layer so cool colors showed through :) here's the tutorial - http://impatientlycrafty.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/kids-painted-artwork-into-awesome-pottery-barn-style-wall-art/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it. I am so happy to have found your wonderful creative blog.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this! I am looking for one I can do at home that is about 24" (across) X 3 or 4'(down). I would like a saying on it or just words. Family, Love, etc. Either one will work. I have a space next to my fireplace that this size I mentioned will work PERFECT! HELP me find a link to something like what I am wanting. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. love it! thanks so much for the tutorial (especially stating which fonts to use)... it helped me so much with my own variation. :)

    http://thisisfromthat.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-admit-im-too-cheap-for-pottery-barn.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! that looks AMAZING! It looks EXACTLY like the Pottery Barn one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your sister is blessed! Very Nice and thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  32. How did you make the large vinyl numbers?

    ReplyDelete